58% ––17% PA Will Be Terror State,
47% –– 14% Support Settlements
59% –– 17% Want Stronger Iran Sanctions
New Poll: Americans Show Overwhelming Support For Israeli Positions –– Oppose Obama’s Positions
A new poll of American public opinion has found that the vast majority of Americans support Israel on virtually every major issue concerning the Israeli/Palestinian situation, while opposing the positions of the Obama Administration. Additionally, only 31% of Americans believe President Barack Obama is a close and reliable friend of Israel. By a ratio of 3.5 to 1 (58% –– 17%), Americans believe any future Palestinian Arab state would be hostile to Israel and support terrorism. By a ratio of over 3 to 1 (47% –– 14%), Americans believe that Jews have the right to settle in Judea/Samaria (West Bank).
The National Omnibus Poll, conducted by McLaughlin Associates and published on January 17, 2014, surveyed a large, nationwide cross-section of 1000 Americans, consisting of Protestants (46%), Catholics (30%), Jews (3.6%), African Americans (13%), Hispanics (12%), Asians (3%) and Whites (70%). Politically, the respondents were 42% Democratic supporters and 41% Republican supporters.
The poll found that:
- To the question, “Do you think that if a Palestinian Arab state were established, it would live peacefully with Israel or would it be hostile to Israel and support terrorism?,” 58% of Americans reply that a future Palestinian state would be hostile and support terrorism, whereas only 17% think it would live in peace with Israel.
- To the question, “Iran continues to call for Israel’s destruction and calls America the Great Satan. Do you believe that President Obama has done all he can to prevent Iran developing nuclear weapons?,” a majority of 51% of Americans believe that President Obama has not done all he can to prevent Iran developing nuclear weapons, as opposed to a mere 28% who believe that he has (almost a 2 ––1 ratio).
- To the question, “Should the United States pass stronger sanctions against Iran or should they weaken sanctions in order to convince Iran to stop developing nuclear weapons?,” a large majority of 59% of Americans reply that the U.S. should impose stronger sanctions, as opposed to a mere 17% who believe the U.S. should weaken sanctions on Iran (almost a 3.5 –– 1 ratio).
- To the question, “Do you believe that Israeli Jews should have the right to live in settlements in the West Bank, in part to self-defend Israel’s borders, or should only Palestinian Arabs have the right to live there?,” 47% of Americans believe that Israeli Jews should have the right to live there, whereas only 14% of Americans believe only Palestinian Arabs should have the right to live there (over a 3 –– 1 ratio).
- To the question, “Do you support President Obama’s plan to give the Palestinian Authority $440 in American taxpayer dollars in financial aid?,” an overwhelming majority of 72% Americans oppose President Obama’s planned funding to the Palestinian Authority, as opposed to a mere 15% who are in favor of it (almost a 5 –– 1 ratio).
- To the question, “Do you believe that Jerusalem should remain the undivided capital of Israel?,” a clear majority of 55% of Americans reply that Jerusalem should remain the undivided capital of Israel, as opposed to a mere 13% who believe it should not (over a 4 –– 1 ratio).
- To the question, “As part of the current negotiations, should the Palestinian Authority publicly recognize that Israel is the sovereign state of the Jewish people?,” a large majority 63% of Americans believe that the PA should, whereas only 11% believe it should not (almost a 6 –– 1 ratio).
- To the question, “Do you believe that President Obama is a close and reliable friend of Israel?,” only 31% of Americans believe that he is a close and reliable friend, whereas 38% believe that he is not. (This is a surprising result, given that the U.S. has always been known as Israel’s closest and most reliable friend).
(The Zionist Organization of America commissioned these poll questions on Israel, the Palestinians and Iran).
ZOA National President Morton A. Klein said, “The results of this latest, very detailed and highly representative survey of American opinion show gratifyingly high, indeed, overwhelming levels of support for positions Israel takes, as opposed to the position the Obama Administration takes. It also shows an understanding of the dangers Israel faces from a terror-sponsoring Palestinian Authority.
“Americans believe by an overwhelming ratio that Israeli Jews have a right to live in Judea/Samaria (West Bank), whereas only a small percentage believe in the racist, anti-Semitic Palestinian position that only Palestinians have the right to live there.
“Large majorities of Americans clearly understand that a Palestinian state, if established, will not live in peace with Israel and will simply be another Mideast terrorist state.
“President Obama and Secretary of State Kerry should heed these results. They should understand that the American people expect our government to support Israel; stop promoting a Palestinian state; stop condemning Jewish communities in Judea/Samaria and eastern Jerusalem as ‘illegitimate’; support Jerusalem as Israel’s undivided capital; stop funding the PA and impose stronger sanctions on Iran to persuade it to terminate its nuclear weapons program.
“Pro-Israel Jewish organizations, both Jewish and non-Jewish, should cite these results to promote stronger support for Israel.”